Employment Advice for Businesses
|Fees charged by Hutchinson & Buchanan LLP|
|Services||Costs||Basis for Charging|
|Free initial advice (in person or by telephone) – 30 minutes||FREE||Fixed Fee|
|Initial fixed fee interview – 1 hour (inclusive of 30 minutes free advice)||£75 + VAT||Fixed Fee|
|Advice per hour thereafter||£210 + VAT||Hourly Rate|
Employment Claims for Unfair or Wrongful Dismissal for Businesses
|Fees charged by Hutchinson Buchanan LLP||Fees payable to third parties (‘Disbursements’)||ESTIMATED TOTAL FEES|
|Fee||Range||VAT||Subtotal||Fee||Range||VAT||Subtotal||£8,400 – £11,040|
|Legal fee *||£6,000 – £8,000||£1,200 – £1,600||£7,200 – £9,600||Counsel’s fees||£1,000 – £1,200||£200 – £240||£ 1,200 – £1440|
|* basis of charging = hourly rate of £210 based on 28 – 38 number of hours to complete the work.|
Work included and key stages
The precise work and stages involved in defending an unfair or wrongful dismissal claim vary according to the circumstances. However, we have set out the key stages involved in a typical claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation.
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached.
- Preparing your response.
- Reviewing and advising on the claim from the other party.
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process.
- Considering a schedule of loss.
- Preparing for and attending a Preliminary Hearing.
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents.
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses.
- Preparing bundle of documents.
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements.
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list.
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel.
Our service will not include any of the following:
- Advice or assistance in relation to any appeal.
Approximate/ average timescales
The time that it takes from your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 1-2 months. If the claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 3-6 months. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as your case progresses.
Factors that could increase costs
In some circumstances we may increase our fees to account for additional time, work or skill required to meet your instructions. Examples include:
- If it is necessary to defend applications to amended claims or provide further information about an existing claim.
- If we defend a costs application.
- If there are complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties).
- The number of witnesses and documents.
- If there is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if the person has been dismissed after blowing the whistle on their employer.
- If there are allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal.
Qualifications and experience of our team
|Sally Ord||Solicitor (Consultant)||Sally qualified as a Solicitor on 01/08/2002 and has a wealth of experience in employment law.|
Regardless of who works on your matter, they will be supervised by Andrew Hutchinson – Solicitor & Senior Partner